How to Send Text Messages on Kik Messenger: The market of text messages is large and wide, and Kik is a relatively new entrant launched by a group of friends in Canada on October 19, 2010. Despite being new, it has gained immense popularity in a short span of time, mainly due to its fresh approach and trendy features. As you probably know that Kik is a cross-platform instant messaging app that works on iOS, Android, and Windows operating systems.
Critics often compare Kik with giants like Snapchat and Facebook Messenger, however this comparison is pretty unfair because Kik is still in its nascent stage. The instant messaging app has created quite a buzz in the world of instant messaging and it has fast become a favorite with teenagers. The app uses smartphone’s WiFi or data plan to send and receive messages, photos, videos, mobile web pages, sketches, and other types of text messages.
The one feature that differentiates it from WhatsApp is that unlike the former which uses your phone number to create accounts and connect you to your contacts, Kik allows you to create an account using your email id and password. So, if you are not comfortable with sharing your phone number in this platform, you don’t need to.
More than 30% of the Kik users are teenagers from the United States, as of September 2017. This is a free instant messaging app and you can send unlimited text messages to anyone who has a Kik account. If you are a new user seeking help with your account, you have come to the right place. In this article we will take you through steps to show you how to send text messages on Kik Messenger within minutes.
Steps on How to Send Text Messages on Kik Messenger?
- Download the free mobile app from iTunes (iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad) or Google Play Store (Android phones). For Windows phones, download the app from Windows Phone Marketplace.
- Register as a user by creating an account. It will ask for some basic information such as your name, birthday, email id, username and password.
- When you launch Kik for the first time, it will take you to the menu list that contains the list of your chat contacts.
- Choose the contact to whom you want to send the text message. This will open a window that has a box that says ‘Type a message’.
- You can type your message in that box and also add emojis from a variety of emoticons to express your different moods.
- You can add images or videos from gallery to your text message by simply tapping on the ‘+’ sign below. You may also add stickers, links, YouTube video, sketch or create memes during your conversation.
- To send the text message to the selected friend, tap the send button which is located at the bottom right corner of the screen.
Kik Messenger added a new feature that informs you when the message is delivered, and whether or not the message is read by the recipient. You will get the updates in the notifications at the top of your mobile home screen. The main objective of Kik is to become a real time conversation platform and looks like they are in the right direction.
Recently the Kik Messenger was in news for their involvement in a few cases of child exploitation. Given the fact that this messaging app is highly popular with teens, the Canadian company is now coming up with measures to ensure the safety of the users.
One major downside of using the Kik Messenger is that you need a WiFi connection or mobile data in your smartphone for the app to work. Furthermore, your friends should also have a Kik account for you to send them a text message.
Despite the few controversies and downsides, Kik Messenger is still a great messaging app that’s gaining in popularity and giving bigger players in the market like Facebook Messenger and Snapchat a tough competition.